November 6, 2011

Custom Baby Quilt

I had an order come in a couple weeks ago for a custom baby quilt, so here is a little photo story of the process of making the quilt.

 My little helper picking out material at the store

 The chosen materials, prewashed

 A closer look

 I cut out 15 blocks and then added a strip on both sided to make it wider. I had an idea of the layout in my head, but put several different patterns together, to see what I liked best.

Original Layout

 I brought the rows of the multi-gray circles up in between the other pattern rows, 
and tried a dark center square

 I staggered the multi-gray circle material in with the other patterns, 
I liked this better, but still not quite right

 I changed the center square back to the dark, now we have a winner!

 Sew the pieces together, add the batting and the back piece and then a yellow satin border and you have a wonderful, custom baby quilt!

 
The final quilt

 Artsy shot in a basket

 Artsy shot #2

 Artsy shot #3

The back, you can see the quilting pattern here.

If you are interested in having a custom baby quilt made, the usual size is 36x40, pricing is $35-$65 and breakdown is as follows:
- solid pieces front and back $35
- solid back and simple block pattern $45
- solid back and complicated pattern $55
- binding 1: wrap around, the material from the back wraps around to create the binding, included
- binding 2: satin binding in a color of your choice, add $5

Email me at HoneybunchBoutique@yahoo.com to place your order. I will work closely with you throughout the whole process.  I will only make items that are of the same quality and design that I would normally sell on Etsy, so you are under no obligation to purchase the quilt. If in the end, you decide you do not like how it turned out, I will simply list it on Etsy!

No comments: